PUBLICATIONS FROM THE MEOFL LAB
MEOFL lead and collaborative refereed publications since Hanley's arrival at SMU in 2008 (* indicates trainee under Hanley’s supervision):
46. A. Roy-Garand, E. Adlkaha, J. Hanley, V. Elongo, P. Lecumberri-Sanchez, H. Falck and B. Boucher (2021) Paragenesis, mineral chemistry and geochronology of apatite from the Mactung W-Cu-Au deposit, Canada. Mineralium Deposita, submitted (Manuscript MIDE-S-21-00159)
45. J.J. Hanley and M. Guillong (2021) Gold- and palladium-rich sulfide melt inclusions in xenocrysts from a mid-crustal magma chamber, Mt. Milligan porphyry deposit, B.C., Canada, Mineralium Deposita, submitted
44. M. Zentilli, M.C. Graves, R. Mathur, J.J. Hanley, L.M. Heaman, and R. Boric (2021) Locating the missing half of the giant Chuquicamata porphyry Cu deposit, Chile. Economic Geology, in press.
43. *D. LeFort, J.J. Hanley, D. Ames, and C. Davis (2021) Mineralogy and distribution of arsenic and the platinum-group elements (PGE) in shear-hosted magmatic sulfide ores, Garson Mine, Sudbury, Canada. Canadian Mineralogist, submitted
42. J. Sanz-Robinson, T. Brisco, O. Warr, I. Jabeen, G. Lacrampe-Couloume, J.J. Hanley, and B. Sherwood-Lollar (2021) Advances in techniques for carbon isotope signatures of CH4 and hydrocarbons in trapped paleofluids. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, accepted and in revision (Manuscript no. RCM-21-0057)
41. J.J. Hanley, *A. Terekhova, *P. Drake, K. Cottreau-Robins, R. Lewis, and *B. Boucher (2021) Geochemical provenance of copper in pre-contact artifacts on the Maritime Peninsula, Eastern Canada. In (K.R. Holyoke and M.G. Hrynick, eds) The Far Northeast: 3000 BP to Contact. Canadian Museum of History, Mercury Series, in press
40. *M. Kerr, J.J. Hanley, and D. Kontak (2021) Application of bulk fluid volatile chemistry to exploration for metasedimentary rock-hosted orogenic gold deposits: An example from the Meguma terrane, Nova Scotia. Journal of Geochemical Exploration, v. 226, 106764.
39. J.J. Hanley, *M. Kerr, *D. LeFort, *M. Warren, *M. Mackenzie, and *C. Sedge (2021) Enrichment of platinum-group elements (PGE) in alkalic porphyry Cu-Au deposits in the Canadian Cordillera: New insights from mineralogical and fluid inclusion studies. In: (L. Sharman, J. Lang, and J. Chapman) Porphyry Deposits of the Northwestern Cordillera of North America: A 25-Year Update. Canadian Institution of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum, Special Volume 57, p. 88-109.
37. J.J. Hanley, *K. Neyedley, and *F. Tweedale (2020) A review of silicate and sulfide melt inclusions in felsic and mafic plutonic rocks: examples and practical aspects of study. In: (M. Steele-MacInnis and P. Lecumberri-Sanchez, eds) Fluid and Melt Inclusions: Applications to Geologic Processes. Mineralogical Association of Canada Topics in Mineral Sciences, v. 49, p. 123-162.
36. Z. Zhang, Y. Fedortchouk, J.J. Hanley, and *M. Kerr (2020) Diamond resorption and immiscibility of C-O-H fluid in kimberlites: Evidence from experiments in the H2O-CO2-SiO2-MgO-CaO system at 1-3 GPa. Lithos, v. 380-381, 105858
35. *E. Slater, J.J. Hanley, T. Mulja, M. Zentilli, and *C. Trottier (2020) Epithermal mineralization in the Busang Southeast Zone, Indonesia: New Insight into the Au Prospect at the Centre of the Bre-X Fraud. Minerals, v. 10, 698.
34. V.J. Owen, J.J. Hanley, and J.A. Petrus (2019) Phosphatic alteration of lead-rich glazes during two centuries of burial: Bartlam, Bonnin & Morris, and Chelsea porcelain. Archaeological and Anthropological Sciences, v. 11, p. 6551-6567.
33. *K. Neyedley, J.J. Hanley, H.Falck, R.J. Bodnar, L. Fedele, M. Fayek, and R. Sharpe (2019) Sulfide melt inclusions associated with magmatic Ni-Cu-platinum-group element (PGE) mineralization in the Caribou Lake Gabbro, Blatchford Lake intrusive suite, Northwest Territories, Canada. Ore Geology Reviews, v. 107, p. 513-531.
32. *M.J. Kerr, J.J. Hanley, D.J. Kontak, G.G. Morrison, J. Petrus, M. Fayek. (2018) Evidence of upgrading of gold tenor in an orogenic quartz-carbonate vein system by late magmatic-hydrothermal fluids at the Madrid Deposit, Hope Bay Greenstone Belt, Nunavut, Canada. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, v. 140, p. 180-218
31. V.J. Owen, *M. Stimson, *M. Kerr, J.J. Hanley (2018). Geochemistry of pink corundum-bearing feldspathic gneiss, Frenchvale Quarry, Cape Breton Island: metamorphism of albitized, Fe-poor clastic rocks. Mineralogical Magazine, v. 83, p. 249-260
30. *E. Owen, V.J. Owen, J.J. Hanley, *N. Kennedy (2018). Development of an integrated body-glaze layer on an 18th Century lead-glazed true porcelain teapot from Philadelphia: insights from kiln-firing experiments on compositional analogues. Historical Archaeology, v. 52, p. 617-626
29. *N.C. Hurtig, J.J. Hanley, and A.P. Gysi (2018) The role of hydrocarbons for ore formation at the Pillara Mississippi Valley-Type Zn-Pb ore formation, Canning Basin, Western Australia. Ore Geology Reviews, v. 102, p. 875-893
28. *E. E. Adlakha, J.J. Hanley, H. Falck, and B. Boucher (2018) The origin of mineralizing hydrothermal fluids recorded in apatite chemistry at the Cantung tungsten skarn deposit, NWT, Canada. European Journal of Mineralogy, v. 30, p. 1095-1113
27. J.J. Hanley and K.T. Koga (2017) (Book) Chapter 2. Halogens in Terrestrial and Cosmic Geochemical Systems: Abundances, Geochemical Behaviors and Analytical Methods. In: Harlov D, Aranovich LY (eds). The role of halogens in terrestrial and extraterrestrial geochemical processes: Surface, crust, and mantle. Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, p. 21-121.
26. *K. Neyedley, J.J. Hanley, M. Fayek, and D. Kontak (2017) Textural, fluid inclusion and stable O isotope constraints on vein formation and gold precipitation, 007 deposit, Bissett, Manitoba, Canada. Economic Geology, vol. 112. p. 629-660.
25. V. Owen and J.J. Hanley (2017) Bartlam Porcelain Recreated. American Ceramics Circle Journal vol. 19, p. 69-97.
24. J. Dostal., T.R. van Hengstum, J.G. Shellnutt, and J.J. Hanley (2016) Evolution of Late Paleozoic rhyolites of the Harvey Group, southwestern New Brunswick (Canada) hosting uranium mineralization. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 171:59.
23. Y, Kettanah, M. Zentilli, J.J. Hanley, and F. Tweedale (2016) Geological setting and fluid inclusion characteristics of a lead-copper-barium occurrence hosted in a Neoproterozoic mafic sill at Kiatak, Northumberland Island, Northwestern Greenland. Ore Geology Reviews, vol. 79, p. 268-287.
22. J.J. Hanley, *M.A. MacMillan, *M.J. Kerr, *K.M. Watts, *M.R. Warren, D.E. Ames (2015) Recent advances in fluid and melt inclusion and applied mineralogical research in the Sudbury mining camp: improving ore genesis models and exploration success. In: Ames, D.E. (ed). Targeted Geoscience Initiative 4 – Canadian Nickel-Copper-Platinum Group Elements-Chromium ore systems: Fertility, pathfinders, new and revised models. Geological Survey of Canada Open File Report 7856, p. 209-226.
21. Z. Zhang, Y. Fedortchouk, and J.J. Hanley (2015) Evolution of diamond resorption in a silicic aqueous fluid at 1-3 GPa: application to kimberlite magma and mantle metasomatism. Lithos, vol 227, p. 79-193.
20. *M. Warren, J.J. Hanley, D.E. Ames, and S. Jackson (2015) The use of biotite chemistry as a pathfinder for magmatic sulfide mineralization, Sudbury, Canada. Journal of Geochemical Exploration, vol. 153, p. 11-29.
19. *M.J. Kerr, J.J. Hanley, G. Morrison, J. Everest, C. Bray (2015) Gas chromatographic analysis of bulk fluid inclusion hydrocarbons as an exploration tool, Sudbury, Canada. Economic Geology. vol. 110, p. 531-556.
18. *K.Neyedley, J.J. Hanley, H. Falck, M. Fayek, R. Sharpe (2014) Mineralogy, geochemistry, stable isotopes, and preliminary fluid inclusion analysis of the Caribou Lake mafic-ultramafic intrusion, Northwest Territories, Canada. NWT Geoscience Open File Report 2014-09, 20 p.
17. *K. M. Watts, J.J. Hanley, D.E. Ames, D.J. Kontak and J. Petrus (2014) Chemical databases for apatite and melt inclusions from a study of the 1850 Ma Sudbury Igneous Complex (Ontario, Canada). Geological Survey of Canada Open File Report 7710, 8 p. + figures/tables.
16. P. Jutras, M.J. LeForte and J.J. Hanley (2014) Record of climatic fluctuations and high pH weathering conditions in a thick Ordovician palaeosol developed in rhyolite of the Dunn Point Formation, Arisaig, Nova Scotia, Canada. Geological Magazine, vol. 152, p. 143-165
15. A. Karim, J. J. Hanley, G. Pe-Piper, D.J.W. Piper (2012) Paleohydrogeological and thermal events recorded by fluid inclusions, stable isotopes and geochemistry of diagenetic minerals in Lower Cretaceous sandstones, offshore Nova Scotia, Canada. AAPG Bulletin, 96: 1147-1169.
14. P. Jutras, J.J. Hanley, R.S. Quillan, and M.J. LeFort (2012) Intra-basaltic soil formation, sedimentary reworking and eodiagenetic K-enrichment in the Middle to Upper Ordovician Dunn Point Formation of eastern Canada: a rare window into early Paleozoic surface and near-surface conditions. Geological Magazine 149: 798-818.
13. T. Pettke, F. Oberli, A. Audétat, M. Guillong, A. Simon, J.J. Hanley, and L.M. Klemm (2012) Recent developments in element concentration and isotope ratio analysis of individual fluid inclusions by laser ablation single and multiple collector ICP–MS. Ore Geology Reviews, 44: 10-38.
12. S. Gilbert, L. Danyushevsky, P. Robinson, C. Wohlgemuth-Ueberwasser, N. Pearson, M. Norman, J.J. Hanley, and D. Savard (2012) The development of a nickel sulphide reference material for the analysis of platinum-group elements and gold by LA-ICP-MS and an assessment of consistency between a range of existing reference materials. Geostandards and Geoanalytical Research 37: 51-64
11. J.J. Hanley, *E.R. Gladney and M. Guillong (2011) The presence of non-aqueous volatiles during the crystallization of sulfide-bearing mafic pegmatites in the North Roby Zone, Lac Des Iles Complex, Ontario. Economic Geology 106: 33-54.
10. *T.R. Gray, J.J. Hanley, J. Dostal, and M.Guillong (2011) Magmatic enrichment of uranium, thorium and rare earth elements in late Paleozoic rhyolites of southern New Brunswick, Canada: evidence from silicate melt inclusions. Economic Geology 106: 127-143.
9. *A.Teague, J.J. Hanley and T. Seward (2011) Trace element distribution between coexisting phenocrysts, salt melts, and aqueous fumarole condensates associated with natrocarbonatite lavas at Oldoinyo Lengai volcano, Tanzania In (Beccaluva,L., Bianchini,G., and Wilson, M. eds) Volcanism and evolution of the African lithosphere, Geological Society of America Special Paper 478: 159-172.
8. J.J. Hanley, D.E. Ames, J. Barnes, Z.D. Sharp (2011) Interaction of magmatic fluids and silicate residues with saline groundwater in the footwall of the Sudbury Igneous Complex, Ontario, Canada: new evidence from bulk rock geochemistry, fluid inclusions and stable isotopes. Chemical Geology 281:1-25.
7. *D. Lefort, J.J. Hanley and M. Guillong (2011) Late-stage hydrothermal veins at the Mt. Milligan Cu-Au deposit, Quesnel Terrane, British Columbia: evidence for epithermal-style processes adjacent to an alkalic porphyry Cu-Au deposit. Economic Geology 106: 781-808.
6. A. Karim, G. Pe-Piper, D.J.W. Piper, J. J. Hanley (2011) Thermal and hydrocarbon-charge history and the relationship between diagenesis and reservoir connectivity: Venture field, offshore Nova Scotia, eastern Canada. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 48: 1293-1306.
5. A. Karim, G. Pe-Piper, D.J.W. Piper, J. J. Hanley (2010) Thermal and hydrocarbon-charge history and the relationship between diagenesis and reservoir connectivity: Venture field, offshore Nova Scotia, eastern Canada. Geological Survey of Canada Open File Report 6557, 30 p.
4. J.J. Hanley and C. J. Bray (2009) The trace metal content of amphibole as a proximity indicator for Cu-Ni-PGE mineralization in the footwall of the Sudbury Igneous Complex, Ontario, Canada. Economic Geology, 104: 113-12
3. B. Xianwu, H. Ruizhong, J.J. Hanley, J.E. Mungall, P. Jiantang, S. Linbo, W. Kaixing, S. Yan, L. Hongli, H. Xiaoyan (2009)
Crystallisation conditions (T, P, fO2) from mineral chemistry of Cu- and Au-mineralised alkaline intrusions in the Red River–Jinshajiang alkaline igneous belt, western Yunnan Province, China. Mineralogy and Petrology 96: 43-58
2. *Z.Zajacz, J.J. Hanley, C.A. Heinrich, W. E. Halter, M. Guillong (2009) Diffusive reequilibration of quartz-hosted silicate melt and fluid inclusions: Are all metal concentrations unmodified? Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 73: 3013-3027
1. J.J. Hanley, J.E. Mungall, T. Pettke, E.T.C. Spooner, and C.J. Bray (2008). Fluid and melt inclusions of magmatic origin in the Ultramafic and Lower Banded Series, Stillwater Complex, Montana, U.S.A. Journal of Petrology, 49, 6, 1133-116